WorkSafe Victoria is investigating numerous private security firms who were subcontracted to guard guests in the state’s bungled hotel quarantine program.
The independent regulator’s chief executive Colin Radford told the Victorian Parliament’s Public Accounts and Estimates Committee (PAEC) on Wednesday that health and safety practices of the companies were being probed.
However, Mr Radford would not reveal the names of the companies being investigated or whether the watchdog intended to interview individual security guards.
“We are investigating some of the activities as they pertain to the [Occupational] Health and Safety Act, and the duty holder in that case would be the security companies,” he said.
“So, absolutely we are investigating whether they have complied with their responsibilities.”
Mr Radford told the committee the companies WorkSafe was looking at were used across eight worksites, but did not divulge how many contractors or sub-contractors were being investigated.
Victoria Police Commissioner Shane Patton also told the committee that an “inquiry” had been launched, but did not disclose whether there had been any alleged criminal activity.
A separate inquiry into the hotel quarantine program has heard evidence from multiple security guards who have alleged their employers provided little to no training on personal protective equipment (PPE) protocols on infection control.
On Monday, a former guard alleged at the inquiry he was asked to reuse PPE and hide disposable masks in his pocket away from the view of security cameras.
Source: ABC News