Man dies at Taco Bill restaurant

A tradie who died while working on renovations at a popular Taco Bill restaurant in Melbourne’s southeast is being remembered as a man “full of life and love”.

Tony Balalovski was installing a light at the Mexican eatery on Princes Highway in Pakenham when he was electrocuted about 6pm on Tuesday.

WorkSafe Victoria, investigating the fatality, said the 40-year-old licensed electrician died at the scene.

Tony’s cousin Sammy Petrevski told NCA NewsWire he was a person who always wanted to “experience life to the fullest”.

He said he loved skiing and would compete at Echuca’s annual Southern 80 ski race every year.

“Tony was special to each and every single person who was is in his life, his impact on everyone is major,” Mr Petrevski said.

“His infectious smile, his cheekiness, his beautiful heart. Tony worked hard to achieve everything in his lifetime.

“Tony had taught us all how to love the water as much as he did, he taught us all how to ski, wakeboard or kneeboard, and he would enjoy that moment teaching all his family how to love the same thing he did.

“From all the laughter, the tears, the ups and the downs, Tony always found a way to smile. On behalf of all of the Petrevski family, Tony, may you rest in peace, fly high and ski fast.

“We will love you and cherish you forever.”

In a statement, Taco Bill said the tragic incident had “deeply shocked” staff at the franchise.

“Taco Bill Pakenham has been temporarily closed during Covid-19 restrictions and undergoing minor renovations,” a spokesperson said.

“Yesterday afternoon an external trade contractor sadly passed away whilst working on site.

“We pass on our sincere condolences to his family, friends and colleagues.”

Energy Safe Victoria (ESV) is also investigating the incident.

“ESV offers its condolences to the victim’s loved ones,” a spokesperson said.

“ESV is pleading to all electricians to ensure they carry out safe isolation when working in the vicinity of live electrical equipment.

“We’re also reminding electricians to ensure they carry out mandated testing upon the completion and before energisation of electrical work.”

Police will prepare a report for the coroner.

Source: Perth Now

Leave a Comment


Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)