Electrician killed on job

The heartbroken sister of a Kilsyth electrician who died at work has remembered him as a selfless, hardworking brother who would do anything to support his young family. Jarrod Fox, 37, was electrocuted while he worked underneath a home in Ringwood’s Kalinda Rd on Tuesday, August 18.

The owner of the home went to check on Mr Fox at about 3pm after they hadn’t heard from him for some time. Mr Fox was found cold, unresponsive and later declared dead when emergency services arrived at 3.30pm.

Sister Erin Fox described her brother as a kind-hearted, quiet “workaholic” dedicated to supporting his young family. Mr Fox and fiance Charmaine gave birth to their second child, Jasper, five weeks ago, a brother for two-year-old son Archer.

“He was a family guy, a workaholic, and he never took time off because he wanted to provide for his family,” Ms Fox said. “It was never about him, he always gave so much of himself to everyone else.”

“I was speaking to his best mate and he said he was a friend for life, there was never anyone who had a bad word to say about him.”

An experienced tradesman, Mr Fox attended Lilydale Heights High School and left in Year 11 to begin his electrical apprenticeship. Ms Fox said her brother had a passive, easygoing personality and was “meticulous” and passionate about his job.

“He was just a simple tradie, no glitz or glamour, he just did what he had to do,” she said.

Ms Fox said she had been touched by the reaction to a GoFundMe page she started for a trust fund to support her brother’s sons. The fundraiser had received more than $25,000 in 24 hours as of 6.30pm on Thursday, August 20.

“There’s so many people that didn’t know him, even people Jarrod went to high school with and haven’t spoken to him since then,” she said. “All he wanted to do was give and provide to his family.”

WORKSAFE INVESTIGATING
WorkSafe and Maroondah detectives are continuing their investigations into Mr Fox’s death.

Croydon police Sergeant Peter Williams said six police units, Ambulance Victoria paramedics and WorkSafe representatives responded to the incident at 3.30pm. Sgt Williams said Mr Fox was a qualified electrician and working as contractor.

He said the homeowner hadn’t heard from the man for a period of time, and made the grisly discovery when they went to check on him. Sgt Williams said the homeowner found the man cold and not responding and phoned 000.

Investigators believe Mr Fox was working in a confined space and was electrocuted. Sgt Williams said WorkSafe representatives secured the incident scene and Mr Fox’s death was being investigated by the coroner.

It is the 47th death recorded on a Victorian worksite in 2020 and there have been three more deaths recorded compared with the same time last year.

Source: Herald Sun

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

error

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)