safe work environment after a well-loved tradie was killed by a falling beam at a Point Cook site.
A roofing truss manufacturer is accused of failing to provide a safe work environment after an employee was killed by a falling steel beam at a Point Cook worksite.
Lawyers representing Melbourne Truss appeared in the Melbourne Magistrates Court on Monday for a filing hearing after the company was charged on August 26.
A 35-year-old man was killed by the steel beam at a Pilatus Crescent building site on March 3 last year.
A 16-month investigation by WorkSafe followed, which prosecutor Dermont Moody said had run up to a “six volume prosecution brief”.
WorkSafe will allege the company breached its duties under Occupational Health and Safety Act by failing to take reasonable steps to reduce risk to health and safety at the site.
Melbourne Truss director Tahir Yavuz said the death was a “tragedy” that had psychologically and emotionally impacted himself and his staff.
“The deceased was a beloved staff member of the company and a close family friend of myself, he was loved by all who knew him,” he said.
“We are an experienced company and take safety measures seriously, we care for the safety and well-being of all of our employees and have safety procedures in place to prevent worksite accidents.”
In a statement, WorkSafe alleged the company had failed to ensure truss bundles were unloaded in a safe zone, workers were using appropriate protective clothing, crane operators worked from a safe location and truss bundles were attached to a balanced sling.
“It‘s alleged the company could have taken reasonably practicable steps to reduce the risk to health and safety during the delivery of trusses,” the statement said.
Representing Melbourne Truss lawyer Abdullah Altintop said the company had not received the prosecution brief from WorkSafe, which would allow lawyers to “investigate this matter in detail”.
“We do know that there were other operators at the site, we will need to investigate fully the safety procedures and processes employed by our client as well as other operators,” he said.
“The further details provided by WorkSafe will be very important in understanding what the prosecution says has happened on this occasion.”
The matter was adjourned off for a committal hearing on November 22.
Source: Herald Sun